Friday, May 2, 2008

Three Days

Yup- That's three days before I leave.  

I'm feeling unprepared for this adventure.  The scooter is good to go: new tires, GPS, valves adjusted.

Since I decided to take this journey, I figured since I'm already as far as Las Vegas, I might as well just head on to San Diego, LA, up the Pacific Coast Highway to SFO, and make my way back home through the Sierra Nevadas on Highway 50: The loneliest highway in America. 

I thought I might be able to camp out, so I bought myself a tent, a sleeping bag and an air mattress, despite never really camping in my life.  I've been reading blogs and journals of others who have done long distance journeys on two wheels over the last several months, which has really reinforced the feeling of how woefully unprepared I am.  I have no real plans once the organized ride is over-just to go on.

I got the bright idea to peruse the travel section of the bookstore this morning and I discovered a gem:  'Road Trip USA:  Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways'  A brilliant travel companion with criss-crossing routes nationwide.  Nirvana- there's an entire chapter devoted to Highway 50.   Now I'll have no trouble finding the worlds largest ball of twine...or something.

No comments: