Sunday, May 18, 2008

Day 13 - 256 Miles

Destination: North Rim of the Grand Canyon

I've decided to try the Cafe at the Anasazi Inn. I think it was open all night, at least there were trucks idling in the lot and lots of activity all through the night. I guess she missed the 'eggs' part of my 'two eggs scrambled with cheese and bacon' order. I got a pile of hash browns and cheese covered bacon strips. I was not alone, Greg's order was wrong too. I gave the biscuits and gravy to Vickie who was making a doggie tray for the dogs. They looked hungry. The cats seemed to fare well dining in the dumpsters out back.

Our first stop along the way was in Antelope Canyon near Page, AZ. It's a Navajo Park, and a added four-wheel drive tour took us a few miles into the sands of Antelope Wash. There a short 1/4 mile cut through a sandstone cliff carved by the swirling waters that rush through the rock during the flooding that occurs five or so times a year. During certain times of the day, a few shafts of sunlight manage to cut into the cool and shady retreat from the blazing sun.

Our Navajo guide was great, his clan had been on this land for centuries and took great pride and care of the natural beauty of the landscape. His descriptions of the countless forms and shapes inside the cut were fascinating. Several times he would take our cameras and frame the perfect shot for us.

We stopped for lunch just at the Navajo Bridge as it crossed the Colorado River near the Vermillion Cliffs. I found a pay phone to yell at American Express for now the fourth time on this journey for cutting off my card due to suspicious fraud activity. This crap is getting old. Someone who wanted to remain anonymous picked up the tab for lunch, I think it was Greg. Thanks.

As we wound around the Vermillion Cliffs, great chasms of the Colorado River cut into the flattened valley. Huge red crumbling cliffs frame the comparatively lush valley. The temperature started dropping as we climbed the huge mesa towards the North Rim. Snow on the ground yet again was the clue I had on not enough warm gear. Lush green meadows and dense evergreen forests were not what I expected.

The cabins at the North Rim Lodge were warm and cozy. The Lodge itself has a huge glassed terrace that reveals the money shot. This canyon is huge. The colours in the late afternoon on the north side are astounding. The sun set as I took a short hike towards Bright Angel Point. There you can hear the roaring of the river far below the fault line that is visible from the point.

Mark managed to get a reservation for us all seventeen of us for dinner. The Lodge has only been open three days, so dinner was a bit rocky. Mark treated us all. Thanks Mark.

I went a bit overboard with the pix:

No comments: