Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day 2 - 337 miles

Destination: 100 miles past Nashville- we didn't make it.

A beautiful morning near Howards Knob.  Greg, Alice, and Matt have a warm and wonderful home on he side of the mountain.  Rosco, a sweet, sweet black and white dog, and Jaylee, the fluffy long hair tortoise shell cat, share their home.

Matt still had a final exam late in the day so I got up early,  pulled the scooter into Greg's shed, and put a new belt on the scooter. I figured the 8000 miles on the belt I had would be pushing it to add another 2300 interstate miles. My new Continental Zippy was mounted for front rotation, so I swapped the new(ish) Michelin Pilot City on the front and made it my spare- good for front or rear. I topped off the oil, it was a tad low.  I moved on to my arts and crafts project for the day. 

Greg laughed out loud last night when  showed him the beaded seat cover I purchased last summer and have been meaning to cut down to fit on the scooter seat.  I don't care how kitschy it looks, I really don't want to drive across the country with a sweaty butt.  It actually turned out great after I found the 'Rosetta Stone' piece of monofilament to carefully un-weave the pattern without spilling 500 beads on the floor for Rosco to choke on.
 
We finally leave town around 5:30pm.  Winding through the narrow two lane roads leading to Johnson City is a pleasant beginning to what will I'm sure turn into long and tedious journey on the interstates after we meet Moe in Knoxville.

Matt had a friend in Nashville he wanted to visit, and we would be arriving later at night. Somewhere outside of Nashville, we stopped for coffee at a McDonalds. I never thought a double cheeseburger could taste so good... then again, maybe it was just the salt.

Nashville- it's late

More pictures from today are here:

No comments: