Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 10 - 271 miles

Destination: Moab, UT

I took a few moments this morning to go back to Fairyland Canyon. Sort of a miniature version of Bryce Canyon just next door. The colours were totally different in the early morning sunlight.

Lots of other bikers in this part of the country. Nearly every stop we make, I answer the same questions: How fast does that thing go? How many miles per gallon? How much money does it cost? They're all amazed I have driven from North Carolina. I'm amazed several bikers at a fuel stop asked to take my picture.

We left on Scenic Byway 12 towards Capitol Reef National Park. This day I believe has been the most varied. of all days so far. It seemed to change every thirty minutes or so. From the rich sheer cliffs of red rocks, to the gypsum layered knuckles, the snow covered forrest of Aspen trees, the flattened desert, the lunar looking landscape to towering snow covered mountains in the distance.

Experience has taught me that when I see snow on the ground, I'm wearing the wrong gloves. Sure enough, I put on my mesh gloves just before the climb past 9300 feet, and temperatures below 45 degrees.

Hell's Backbone routes us through the Aquarius Plateau on some of the most exhilarating twistie turns yet. We all split up and took the turns at our own pace. Much more fun than worrying about rear ending the bike in front of you.

We stopped for lunch in Hanksville at Blondies. I'd describe it as a hole in the wall type joint, except the gas station/convenience store next door really was built into a hole in the rock wall. I can't imagine this place once the 'season' starts. The four people working were overwhelmed not only with our group, but another group of Harley bikers from France. I ordered a Southwestern Chicken Wrap, thinking it would be faster than waiting for a burger. It wasn't, but it was worth the wait.

Our journey soon led us to I-70 East, and mercifully I had a tail wind. No lagging behind the mob today. The last stretch on US 191 was mostly level and straight for miles and miles at a time.

Ritch and I drove back to Arches National Park just outside of Moab. More stunning scenery with the snow covered La Sal Mountains in the background. Carved red sandstone cliffs, arches, spires and monoliths loom from the ground. It looks like God just took a big box of rocks and tossed them to the earth. The sun just peeked out from the overcast skies just before we left for dinner.

Moe had negotiated a generous discount for us at the Moab Brewery for dinner. Thanks Moe. The stout was rich and creamy, and the fresh salmon was cooked almost to perfection. Ritch graciously picked up the tab for everyone. Thanks Ritch.

Greg's (ex's) ex-father-in-law, Lin met us for dinner. He has a rock shop near here, and flies an ultralight. He could be a gold miner straight out of central casting. Quite the character.

I've come to the conclusion that flattened jackrabbits might as well be mile markers in this part of the country.

Lots of pictures from today:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just three words: Fab-u-lous!!! Wish I were there.