Saturday, May 17, 2008

Day 12 - 226 Miles

Destination: 10 miles west of Kayenta, Navajo Nation

We got up early to explore the Pueblo Indian cave dwellings in the park. Several of us took the 'Balcony House' tour, guided by a Park Ranger. I can't imagine building these structures in the sides of these cliffs. Much of the remaining structures are original, with minimal restoration. The tour took us up ladders, scaling the sheer rock faces, and through tight tunnels into the sandstone.

Large areas of the park are fire damaged. Fields of ghostly, ashen trees are a stark contrast to the surprising amount of greenery on these mesas. We really didn't have time to explore the entire park, it was huge.

We left Mesa Verde and headed to Four Corners Monument. A small spot in the middle of nowhere at the intersection of New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. Surrounding the monument is a scene mindful of a weekend flea market, but all Navajo. Lunch wagons sold Navajo (flat bread) tacos and burgers. I had the Frito pie.

Monument Valley lay between us and Kayenta. Spectacular red rock shapes stretch towards the sky. Huge monolithic shale and sandstone form remarkable structures. Some resemble animals, faces and people.

We arrived at the Anasazi Inn, a quintessential 50's motel, with a desert Navajo flavour. Several scraggly dogs lay in the parking lot like they own the place. The rooms have dark paneling, not the real thing. It's quaint.

Rob, David and Brenda, Greg and I decided to head back in the sag wagon towards Kayenta to dinner. We discovered the Amigo Cafe Cafe (yes, Cafe is twice on the sign). Supposedly one of the three top 100 restaurants in Arizona. It was truly a local eatery, and excellent Mexican fare. The combination enchilada, taco and tostada dinner was better than most I have ever had. Rob picked up the tab. Thanks Rob.

I needed to fuel up and drove back to Kayenta yet again. I had my camera this time and decided to drive back to get a picture of the Amigo Cafe Cafe. While I was fumbling with the camera, I heard a noise to my left. I looked up and a pack of wild horses was crossing the four lane road about 10 feet away. The seven or eight ponies clopped on down a side street beside me like a bunch of rowdy kids on skateboards, roaming the town. I was dumbstruck, unable to raise the camera to get a picture.

I drove back to the Anasazi Inn very slowly.

2 comments:

Virginia said...

Starr, you should never have doubted your writing skills! It's fun reading about your adventures. So glad you're safe; are bits and pieces not falling off the Vespa?

George said...

Can't tell you how impressed I am by your blogging skills. You're a natural. Seems like the headwinds have been you're greatest challenge.

Be safe, and keep on posting.

Love, George