Monday, May 19, 2008

Day 14 - 305 Miles

Destination: Back to Las Vegas

The early morning sunlight cast an entirely different look across the canyon. I grabbed some breakfast at the deli and munched on the scenic porch of the Lodge. The colours change by the minute. The sky is a bright blue with a few wisps of clouds. The chipmunks here are huge and daring. Scrambling around your feet, they know people have and drop all kinds of food and treats.



Most of us are splitting up today. Some have flights to catch out of Vegas, others are heading back home. This has been an incredible journey so far, I've met some wonderful people from all over the states, Canada and England. I've seen astounding places I never expected to see in my life. Thanks Loren for planning this trip. It's been a blast.

Josh and I headed off to Las Vegas. He was planning on staying with his friend, Scott, the TD at UNLV. I appreciated the invite to stay over. We headed back through Zion Park on the same road we left on a week earlier. The views heading in the opposite direction were spectacular again. We grabbed lunch at Oscar's Cafe in Springdale and jumped on I-15.

The temperature was hotter than a week ago. I watched with dread as my outside air gauge rose past 100 degrees. Every time I looked, it was creeping up higher and higher. I tried not to look, but much like seeing a car wreck, I couldn't not look. It reached 114 degrees as we neared downtown.

We finally arrived, found Scott's apartment, and I was very happy to get a chance to do some laundry and re-pack for the rest of my journey. Thanks Scott. I made a side trip back to the Bonnie Springs Motel to collect my tent and sleeping bag. On the way back, I put the nearest cross street to Scott's house into the GPS to see how it would route me back. Later on I realized as the GPS was heading me in the completely opposite direction, that Scott lives in a nearby township outside of Las Vegas proper. I zig-zagged across town valiantly trying to avoid the strip.

No comments: