Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 37 - 115 Miles

Destination: Home

I sandbagged all day long waiting for the sun to go down. A cold snap was predicted for tomorrow: 92F high. I figured either wait for the sun to go down, or wait until the next morning. Besides, it gave me almost another whole day to visit with my cousins and aunts whom I just don't get to see too often.

I walked to the Trent River Coffee shop, my cousin Lauralyn, was already there. Several customers were skeptical of my recent adventure, but mercifully Ed, the proprietor had a computer there. This blog reveals all.

We decided to try the Pollack Street Deli for breakfast, but we just missed the cut off. A grilled shrimp salad with feta cheese however was as good or better as an omelet had we gotten there earlier. I'm amused at all the bears, some carved well, some not scattered all through town.

The temperature drops to a frigid 90F after the sun goes down, and that's my cue to head home. The thought of sleeping in my own bed seems foreign. I've slept in nearly as many different beds as the number of days I've been gone on this journey. I've met so many wonderful people along the way, it seems like it will be a let down, but I'm anxious to get home.

A short slide how today:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP!!!!
I laughed, I cried, I thought I would just read a little and followed your whole journey!! BRAVO!!
Hi Starr, It's Jim from Showstopper. Bummed I couldn't work with you this year, I'm recovering from surgery 2 of 3 on the knee, but Greg told me of your journies and Google led me here. One word...Wow! You are a very lucky, strong and blessed person to have been able to accomplish this trip. Just next time, let me follow you with a camera or two. :) Take Care Starr, maybe see ya at the finals....

Starr M. said...

Thanks Jim- we're heading down there tomorrow for the finals. I missed seeing you. Ouch about your knee, stop jumping off the stage!

Anonymous said...

A couple of questions:
1) Did you/ do you use electric clothing for warmth?
2) Did beaded seat help with dead butt disease?
3) Why a Vespa? There are so many scooters out there...

Thanks. Bobby from Honeysuckle Drive; circa 1965

Starr M. said...

Bobby! A blast from the past. Hope you're doing well.

No on the electric clothing. I've thought about heated grips, but not this go round.

The beaded seat cover really mitigated sweaty butt disease. It made a real difference. I never really experienced dead butt.

Vespa? It's a classic.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, the wife and I were out for a ride; when I spotted the famous RED VESPA! I admired it from afar, figuring if I got any closer I might be shot. If only I had my camera with me.
What an honor it was to be in the same vicinity of this amazing vehicle. Is it going to go on any public appearances, where we mere mortals can drool over it?

Bobby