Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 36 - 84 Miles

Destination: Atlantic Beach, NC

My cousin Lauralyn, and I get up and walk downtown to a coffee shop, and then to a bakery for breakfast. The coffee shop is filled with locals who seem right at home. One customer complains about all the old posters on the windows. She's been cleaning the windows in exchange for her coffee fix. Try that at a Starbux. I ate an omelet bigger than my head at the bakery and stopped at the small grocery store for some needed supplies for a lazy day on the river.

It was miserably hot and I decided to bite the bullet and head to the beach, hell's fire and damnation. Surprisingly it was almost 15 degrees cooler, 40 miles away at the beach. I stopped for that iconic photo of my scooter on the Atlantic Ocean. Looks sort of like the left coast, eh? I took a quick tour around Fort Macon, a fort first established to protect Beaufort Inlet, but later fell into Confederate hands. I have fond memories of another family visit there many years ago with my Grandmother and Uncles who have long since passed.

I beat a hasty retreat back to New Bern, for a cool shower and a cold adult carbonated beverage. Not too much later, I was snoozing the day away in the warm breeze on a huge hammock.

I forgot to mention last night, my cousin Ben took several of us on an evening river cruise on a brilliantly restored skipjack. The Ada Mae is one of only a few surviving oyster dredging vessels from the early 1900's. It's now used as a teaching vessel to help kids understand and appreciate coastal and maritime heritage through Carolina Coastal Classrooms. We went a good ways downriver and returned under power of the jib sail.


Todays momentous slideshow of the terminus of my journey:

No comments: