Saturday, June 7, 2008

Day 34 - 172 Miles

Destination: Greensboro, NC

I left Asheville early this morning in comparison to my normal departure time. Mostly to avoid the heat, it's supposed to be in the 100's today. Secondly, I want to get to the Scooter Vita of the Triad early to change my rear tire and get them to mount my old Michelin Gold Standard for the rear. This one has developed disturbing bulges only on the right side. Several are very big.

I decided to take I-40 instead of some smaller back roads. I figure if I have a blow-out and drive off the road into a ditch on a secondary road, I could be there for days. At least I have a fighting chance of someone seeing me and not hitting me as I drive off the shoulder of the interstate.

This heat is oppressive, very different than the dry desert heat. Here, you're sweaty and sticky in this humidity, and it's hot inside my helmet.

I got to the scooter shop and was shocked to see a nearly empty showroom. Scott says the scooters have been flying out the door for the last month. When I left on this journey, you could hardly walk through the showroom. Now it's looks downright lonely in there. Josh kindly offered one of their lifts for my use to change out my rear tire. Thanks Josh. I'm not sure if I know how to do some of this stuff without actually standing on my head.

For those of you who have asked about the Dyna-beads I've used to balance my tires, here's the poop. It seemed to have no effect on the rim whatsoever. Josh was concerned they might chew up the rim. What they did chew up was some rubber inside the tire, and you could see the pattern they wove inside the tire as they dynamically balanced the tire on the roll. The company that sells them says you can vacuum them out and re-use them. I think it would be a PIA, so I'll just bite the bullet and spend the extra $4 for another tiny bag-o-beads. I think they work as advertised. I put less than 7000 miles on my stock Sava tire with the adhesive lead weights, and it was horribly cupped. I now have more than 8200 miles on a front Continental Zippy with Dyna-beads, and that tire still looks new.

I decided to crash for the night at my parent's house here in Greensboro. They've already left for a family get-togther in New Bern, my destination for tomorrow. And I get to spend some quality time with my felines, who've been getting spoiled, fatter, and lazier than they normally are staying with their Grandparents, and oh, do some laundry. I pick up Guy, normally the out-going one. A couple of sniffs- 'oh it's just you' and he's outta here. Lola, normally the stand-offish one, is thrilled to see me. She sheds a significant amount of her orange fur on my black shirt in her excitement to have me pet her butt. Although I really think their definition of quality time somehow revolves around food.

A few slides from today, yeah mostly felines...

No comments: