Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 30 - 280 Miles

Destination: Olney, IL

Much of Missouri looks alarmingly familiar to parts of NC. Certainly not the sharp contrast in scenery I've been enjoying so far. Except for the Testicle Festival. I really can't imagine what it's about, but it sure breaks up the monotony. Another anti-monotonous stunt for me is to sharpen my card counting skills for the next time I'm in Tahoe. I figure counting and categorizing the dead animals on the side of the road without the help of pen and paper would be a good exercise.

Hmmm, lets see. In the first 85 miles outside of Jefferson City on Hwy 50, I encountered: 32 small furry creatures, 29 indistinguishable masses, 14 totally unrecognizable greasy spots, 11 turtles, seven armadillos, five birds, four opossums, three snakes, and one dead dog. I only counted the road kill actually on the road or paved shoulder. If it was in the dirt off the pavement, it didn't count. You gotta have rules you know. I did stop for a turtle who was high tailing across the road, I turned around, helped him across the road and he was safely on his way in a big fat hurry.

Once Hwy 50 merged onto I-44 near St. Louis, I really had to pay attention, so I quit my exercise for the day. It didn't help, I somehow crossed the great muddy river without seeing the arch. What trip would be complete without a stop at the arch. I wound my way back to town for a few pix. Lewis and Clark were mostly submerged in the flooded Mississippi River.


Olney, IL apparently is famous for a couple of clowns who released some albino squirrels around the turn of the last century. They're everywhere. The albino squirrels have the right of way on streets, and it's a crime to try and leave town with one.

I stumbled upon the Hovey Diner, famous for their hamburgers, and a local hangout for many regulars who always order the same thing. It was tasty, The Big Mike. Two grilled patties piled high with cheddar cheese and coleslaw. Hand cut french fries completed the feast. Several locals were intrigued by my adventure, and Susan, my waitress gave me a T-shirt. Thanks Susan.




Todays picture show:

No comments: