Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 29 - 305 Miles

Destination: I seriously considered last night trying to get to a Cardinals game by 7:30. No way.

A huge damaging thunderstorm raged through just north of Emporia this morning. I sandbagged at the hotel hoping it would continue further northeast so I could stay behind it. Breakfast at the S&S was better than dinner was last night: sausage and cheese omelet. It's a quaint local eatery with clever messages on the bathroom doors. Lots of smoke and lots of farmers.

I decided to detour off my Hwy 50 route towards the south and catch Hwy 54 to avoid the storms. I was surprised to see an Oklahoma mile marker squished on the side of the road. I didn't figure armadillos got that far up here. But there was more wildlife in store for me today.

I'd hazard a guess that turtles have a less than 10% chance of getting from one side of the road to the other alive. Those poor creatures just don't get a break. I've decided that squished turtles can be mile post markers for Eastern Kansas. In my quest to photograph some of the unfortunate mile markers, I did stop for one that was ahead of the curve. I stopped and gently took him across the road in the direction he was traveling.

I started to catch up with that nasty storm and stopped for fuel in Weaubleau, KS. Across the street the Common Ground cafe lured me in with it's advertised free WiFi. It was a hippie Jesus community cafe of The Twelve Tribes, that brewed a mean cup of tea and baked delicious cranberry muffins. They do a bang up business in organic vegetables. They were very nice to let me into the office to check the weather since the WiFi wouldn't log me in.

I haven't quite figured out why the gas stations in Eastern Kansas offer not three but five different octane grades of fuel. 86, 89, and 91 octane just aren't enough choices I guess. After being in Kansas for the last three days, the Missouri border was a welcome sight, even if squished armadillos are now the current mile markers. I've decided today is wildlife day. I have seen just today: a wild turkey, a beaver, a hawk, an eagle, a llama, goats, sheep, and cows of course. They were all alive.

After sandbagging several hours for the rain, I decided to call it a day in Jefferson City. The Super 8 motel is calling my name. I'm sick and tired of American Express making my life miserable.

Todays wildlife slideshow:

No comments: