Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 4 - Susanville to Lee Vining, CA




We backtracked on Hwy 44 till we met up with Hwy 89 south heading to Lake Tahoe. A few construction zones broke up the trip, not in the good way. Finally I get to see lake Tahoe in all its glory. I've been here two other times in the last three years. The first time it was raining and snowing, the second time it was wildfires. I stopped for a few pictures at Inspiration Point on the west side of the Lake.

We stopped for lunch at Brother's Bar and Grill, seemingly a biker bar. They managed to get out food out pretty fast for having 30 or so people descend at once. Someone picked up the tab, I think it was Jonathan and Sheryl. Thanks guys for lunch. Just before we left, Todd the cook was out back enjoying a smoke, and asked about our ride. He donated right there on the spot, telling me his Mom rides with about 100 or so bikes out of Sacramento to benefit breast cancer research. Thanks Todd.



The ride up Monitor Pass on Hwy 89 was a little more than 8300 feet. Once we reached the top, snow covered mountains spanned every direction my eye could see. Once the valley spread out coming into Bridgeport, the lush green fields on either side of the highway as far as the eye could see. Thousands and thousands head of cattle were lazily grazing.



We stopped at a vista point overlooking Lake Mono. The guard rail had become a favorite spot for bumper stickers. I added one for The Incriminators, my scooter club, yeah I'm not riding an old scooter…. We settled into the Tioga Lodge at Mono Lake, A quint resort just outside of Lee Vining. Rob, Suzanne, Phil and myself wandered down a primitive boat ramp with a decrepit boat house, to the lake as the sun set behind us. The seagulls eating the bugs were only disturbed for a little while. An orange full moon arose across lake Mono while we enjoyed BBQ compliments of Frank and Pat Stewart. Thanks for dinner.

I think I'm getting a cold. Drat. Here's some slides:

No comments: