Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 1- San Francisco to Lakeport, CA



We had a great send off compliments of IATSE Local 16 at Presidio Park, at base of the Golden Gate Bridge. Unlike yesterday when I crossed the bridge coming into town, a heavy fog covered the top of the bridge. Alcatraz island was barely visible in the mist. I picked up a National Park pass, and a refrigerator magnet, with a foggy picture of a bridge and a quote by Mark Twain: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." He wasn't kidding. The BBQ chicken, beef brisket and ribs were tasty. Thanks Local 16.




I wandered over to the civil war era Fort Point. The cold wind was whipping in and around. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be stationed there, freezing day in and day out. The fort was saved from destruction during the building of the Golden gate bridge to preserve the artistry of the masons who built the structure.

We crossed the bridge heading north towards wine country. Vineyard after vineyard winding through Napa Valley towards Sonoma County. I can't fathom how the brown and withered hillsides can produce the grapes for such a huge industry. If there was irrigation, I couldn't see it from the road. Highway 29, north of Napa takes on small intestine appearance, and tested everyone's twisty skills. I re-discovered my side stand, and I figure by the end of the week it will have ground down to a shiny nub of steel.

We wound up in Lakeport, on the shores of Clearlake, although it looked pretty green to me. Loren found a great little lakeside restaurant for dinner. The Park Place Restaurant set us up on a small balcony overlooking the lake. I hoovered handmade mushroom ravioli in a pesto sauce, while a full moon arose over the lake. Nice end to great day.

A slide show from today:

No comments: