Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 2- Lakeport to Eureka, CA



I noticed the bottom of the bathroom door looked a bit chewed up when I awoke. I didn't remember it like that last night. And sure enough it wasn't. Some mouse chewed a hole in my back pack and dined my granola bars and butterscotch. I was gonna say how nice it was to end up in a suite, but now I'm not.









We left town north on Highway 20 towards Fort Bragg. This day above all was more technical riding in twists and turns than any I have ridden anywhere. We skirted along redwood forests and took old Highway 101, now called Avenue of the Giants. The road was dappled with light and shadow from the massive giant trees, making the already twisting turns more challenging. The 30 miles or so of awe inspiring height and girth of the trees is humbling. I wish we could have stopped, you'll just have to take my word. We did stop at a tourist trap like drive through tree for a photo shoot. Greg got a shot of each.

We managed to go from 60F some degrees this morning to something past 100F once we got near the coastline. We finally settled at the Bay View Inn in Eureka. Not exactly a great view of the bay, but a nice place nonetheless. We decided the Applebee's across the street (within walking distance) was better than driving a mess of two wheeled vehicles several miles down the road to a local pub/watering hole. The mango margarita were tasty too, glad I could walk er… stumble back to the hotel. Someone picked up the tab for dinner, all thirty or so of us. I think it was Bill. Thanks Bill.

Today's short slideshow:

No comments: