Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 1- 195 miles

I actually got out of town within 15 minutes of my goal. It's rare for me. My journey to Richmond, VA takes me up US1 on familiar roads. I've made more than a few trips here in the last year to help my friend from Columbia, Lynn, to re-build her Lambretta. She's been working with Darren Lopez, restorer extraordinaire, and I've learnt a lot myself. I stick to US1 rather than the interstate, and this ride is relaxing and enjoyable. Once into Virginia, the road becomes speckled with sunlight along the gentle hills and curves towards Richmond.

The Lambretta bug bit me a while back, and I learn something every time I visit. I planned to stop in to see Darren on the way. His yard and shop are scattered with Lambrettas and Vespas in all shape and forms, waiting to be restored. Once there, Darren's lovely companion Charlotte, treated me to the fresh spoils of their garden on warm pita with hummus. Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers, marinated in vinegar base with fresh herbs. I really didn't want to leave, but I had a riders meeting at 5pm.


Many old faces and many more new faces this year with the Long Reach Long Riders. We have almost 30 riders on 20 bikes or so. Some have come as far away as England, Canada, and California. Many of us are from the East Coast. Mostly Harleys, with a few Hondas, the rare Suzuki, and me on the lone Vespa.

We leave after the briefing to a splendid dinner hosted by the Chickahominy Indian Tribe at the Tribal Center. The tribe located near the James River helped the early settlers survive the the first few winters. We get a rich history lesson along with a feast of deer meat, both braised and barbecued, fresh fish, potatoes, and succotash.

A few raindrops on the way back to the hotel was not so bad, although I didn't bring my rain gear. We enjoyed another impromptu rider meeting along with some fresh spoils of someone else's corn crop in the liquid form. I'm looking forward to tomorrows trip to historic Jamestown and Williamsburg.

A short slide show from today.

2 comments:

charley chapman said...

Well, finally figured out the how to to join the blog comments section. Late reader of your site, the Virginia Dinner is great, have eaten there in the 80's and 90's with my wife, great place to go and worth the trip.

charley chapman said...

Hope to read more of the jouneys on a vespa and it is fun to read the adventurs of a ride