Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 9 - 388 Miles

I decided to sleep in, but woke up anyway because I failed to close the drapes last night. I had thought about just punching up the "go home" button on the GPS, and specifying "avoid interstates". I google mapped a bit, but the thought ran through my head of last year leaving Lake Tahoe finally starting my ~3100 mile return journey towards home thinking: Oh hell, now I have to drive home.

My better senses took over and I decided to take the most direct route towards I-85 and head home. I'm not sure I actually did take the most direct route, but I got there within a hour anyway. I don't particularly care to drive on the interstates, mostly due to inattentive drivers grossly exceeding the speed limits, not to mention, my scooter has been hitting the rev limiter on this trip around 78mph. I can't always get away from the idiots.

The trip was mostly uneventful sans the 10 mile back up in the opposite lane near Gaffney, SC. Looked like a tractor-trailer drove off the road, slid along the embankment for several thousand feet before ending up on the side on the right shoulder. Gawkers in my lane made for a 3/4 mile back-up. It also made a great excuse to jump off the interstate for a photo-op with the giant peach water tower. There's a big green leaf on the other side making it look far less like butt cheeks from the opposite direction.

I finally got home after a hot long drive around 7:45pm. The temperature and humidity were higher that it's been all week. I did mange to miss the "Friday afternoon get out of town" traffic in Charlotte, and missed altogether the RTP traffic near home. Guy and Lola were very happy to see me. However, I never can tell if it's me or the fact that I feed them nearly every time I walk in the front door. It was nice to sleep in my own bed, and I do think the felines miss sleeping with me in bed too, even if it doesn't involve kibbles.

1 comment:

Frank said...

I just read your ride diary. What a great trip. Trips like those are what I call "life events". Riding the Dragon should be on the bucket list of all riders. I did it in '05 on my Harley, and I would love to go back and ride it on my Vespa.

Thanks for sharing your adventures. :-)